Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Roots Trip to Poland - September 2007

This September my family and I are planning a roots trip to Poland. We will be visiting most of the towns that have relevance to our family plus of course Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz and also touristy places such as the salt mine near Krakow and the forest near Bialystok. The itinerary is on the connected website at http://stawiskijewish.googlepages.com/upcomingstawiskitrip-2007

My maternal grandparents and their extended families were from Stawiski and Lomza in the northeast. My paternal great grandfather was from Kolbasov, Poland but that today is in the Ukraine and not Poland. My husbands family was from Plonsk and Tarnow. They relocated to Legnica after the war where they lived until immigrating to Israel.

We will be traveling by train from Warsaw to Krakow but renting a car to get to the rest of the places.

To help prepare for the trip I have been trying to learn a bit of Polish and have even found a private tutor who will soon be giving me lessons. It is easy to learn words but not so easy to pronounce them!!!

I would be happy to hear from anyone elseplanning a trip or suggestions from anyone who has already done one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. Thanks for the attention, bye). Até mais.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I think polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

hello


just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

waiting for next post

Antoine said...

Hi, there is in Poland (Podkarpackie Province-Wojewodztwo) a town Kolbuszowa with many variant names in Yiddish: Kolbasov, Kolbasuv, Kolbishov, Kolbushov, Kolbushova. For example קאלבאסאוו . Before the World War II half of population was Jewish. So, it's possible that your Kolbasov is still in Poland, near Rzeszow, Lizhensk, Tarnow and Ropshitz.
Greetings from Poland :)